26 May 2007


From:that frolicsome kid
To:Whom this may concern
Date:26 May 2007, 22:16
Subject: To a bank I have gone  

Cash Deposit Machine isn't easy to operate!After I have sat for my Chemistry practical exams, I decided to make a visit to a bank and make my very first deposit using the Cash Deposit Machine in the bank. Normally, there wouldn't be so much commotion just to deposit a small sum of money but I'm excited and anxious. Cash Deposit Machine is foreign to me and I had not the slightest idea on how I can operate it.

I remember when I was first introduced to the machine, I saw preprinted instructions on the machine so I thought, "How bad could it be?". Today, after amassing a decent sum of money, I requested for my driver to make a detour to the bank on my way home. Inside the car, I was being paranoid. I tried to memorise my PIN for quite a long time, repeatedly opening my wallet and taking a peek at my PIN number the bank included in a letter which was sent to me quite some time ago. I clung on false hope that I can remember the silly numbers when I am about to deposit the money.

I then got out from the car and came face to face with the electronic teller. Ignoring the staff stationed there who can help me (I absolutely refuse to ask for help; I can do it myself! *chuckle*), I went up to the machine. Thank goodness there was no line or no one queuing behind me, or else I will be even more nervous! Squinting my eyes, I tried to locate both the instructions and the slot where I am supposed to insert my ATM card. I found the bright yellowish-green light and happily, I tried to insert my card.

At first, I thought the slot was jammed but after trying to push in the card a few times, the machine suddenly revved up and my ATM card was being sucked in. I became panicky and I recalled a lecture from my Computer Studies class that such machines can confiscate my ATM card! =O When I realised nothing happened for some time, I was praying hard that I won't land myself in trouble with the bank officers for whatever crime I have committed. LOL!

The screen finally changed while prompted me to insert my money into another slot. I tried to seek for it and finally found it with the yellowish-green light flashing. I took out my $10 note and inserted it in in a not so straight manner. The machine purred and thinking that my money is inserted, I tried to insert another plastic note into the machine. When the machine didn't accept it, I became panicky again (yes, I'm that paranoid! =P). I thought to myself the possible reasons why my money can't be inserted. Probably only a note is allowed to be inserted per transaction, but that's pretty ridiculous.

When I was about to realise human tellers are better than machine ones, the machine accepted my deposit and on the screen, one of the phrase showed: "$10*1". I was overjoyed that my machine accepted my money! I then tried to decide which button to press when the arrow saying "Add more money?" was pointing in between two silver buttons. I pushed one of them and the yellowish-green light flashed again.

The rest of the transaction was smooth again. Deposit the note through a slot, wait, click on button, repeat. It's so simple! I wondered why I was having so much difficulty in the first place! =) Once I ran out of money, I hesitantly reread the instructions, double checked the amount of money I deposited and I clicked on OK since I was done. A couple of silent roars and movement of machinery parts, my ATM card slowly emerge from the slot. It was so cool watching it coming out in slow motion! The receipt was then printed out, and I snatched it and quickly ran back to the car which was to drive me home safely. =)

If a question about the pseudo-code of the Cash Deposit Machine ever comes out, I think I know what to write. ;) I experienced the experience already. Hopefully, my next transaction would be easier and boring. =P

Who says all teenagers are comfortable with technology? I certainly belong to the slightly technophobic group who hesitates a lot when exposed to a brand new technology before exploiting its wonder! =P

Comments (12):

lol Who would've thought Mr Genius-at-the-computer would be scared of a few little buttons, huh? :-D

Well, you've gone and done it now - you are an official bankee :-)

Actually stopped by for another question... since you're so good at art 'n' all... how come you haven't done a peaceglobe, and where is your name on this list? Huh? HuH? Don't you believe in peace, or something? (or are you secretly planning the most massive peace-post ever?!)

:-D ha...ha...ha...Not bugging you, am I?

Fk, THANK YOU so much for a very entertaining post! I had a couple of giggles at your expense, thanx!

Congratulations on taking another step into the world of "grown ups"
:)

You are too funny...! When I was in college, my savings plan consisted of picking the bank the furthest away from where I was living so it would be hard to get money. lol!:-)

by Anonymous
Date:29/5/07 05:09  

I so recognize this from my youth - in the stone age - I was about the same as you, worried! *giggles*

So, you're actually human and not a techno expert, how weird ;-)

The only time after that, that I'm afraid of those machines is when we've been abroad and need to take out money from the bank.

There have been some problems a couple of times and that is no easy situation in a forreign country.... phew.

Hey annelisa! I didn't know what to expect. I'm afraid I'll press the wrong buttons and the security alarm rings. =P (That's better than being really technophobic and thinking it will explode instead. =P)

Yeah, I am now a bankee! I have been meaning to save up money for a long time! =)

Thanks for the Peace Globe reminder, annelisa! Honestly, I don't really want to appear in the country list because I don't wish to share my location with people (even though some will know). Nevertheless, I still am taking part in that fantastic event, don't you worry! ;)

No, it's not going to be massive! =P Hahahaha! I'll do everything on the real day, I guess. ;)

Hey whenn! Huh, I'm not sharing this story just to make you guys laugh. Lol! =P

Heeheehee, Maryam! Didn't want to fall to temptation of withdrawing lots of moolah? =P Were there ATM machines at that time? You could always withdraw your money from there provided you had an ATM card. Lol!

Hey Cap'n! At least you had a genuine reason to be worried since technology was quite young during your "stone age", lol! *chuckle*

Yes, I always am a human! =P I can't work on technological products without instructions. I'm not willing to poke my fingers around and find out for myself. Lol!

Oh right, such machines in a foreign land are in foreign languages. =S Oh dear, that's only making things complicated. =\

Ha Ha Ha..

When I first went to university I went to take cash OUT with a friend. We were mucking about (which remained the case for the following 4 years), so when I put my pin number in he jokingly hit '£100'.

I PANICKED! I'd never seen £100 before so I just stood there looking at it in terror... til the bank machine sucked it back in.

For your reference: If this happens the money is not re-credited to your account. It floats around in a bank machine void until you put in a written claim for it!!

Lol TopChamp! Doesn't that mean it was better for you to cash out your £100 manually via the bank teller? ;) It sounds very troublesome that you had to put in a written claim. =P

gucci outlet, louboutin outlet, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, ray ban sunglasses, air max, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, nike shoes, coach factory outlet, nike free, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, chanel handbags, christian louboutin shoes, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp handbags, coach outlet

gucci outlet, louboutin outlet, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, ray ban sunglasses, air max, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, nike shoes, coach factory outlet, nike free, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, chanel handbags, christian louboutin shoes, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp handbags, coach outlet

insanity workout, north face jackets, giuseppe zanotti, chi flat iron, ugg boots, p90x, birkin bag, longchamp, ferragamo shoes, rolex watches, herve leger, hollister, canada goose, babyliss pro, ugg australia, canada goose, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, ghd, soccer shoes, ugg, nfl jerseys, nike roshe run, north face outlet, valentino shoes, mont blanc, celine handbags, nike huarache, new balance shoes, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, canada goose, mcm handbags, beats by dre, bottega veneta, wedding dresses, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, canada goose uk, mac cosmetics, ugg pas cher, vans shoes, jimmy choo outlet, instyler, uggs outlet, asics running shoes, lululemon outlet, abercrombie and fitch

lancel, canada goose, timberland boots, pandora charms, thomas sabo, moncler outlet, hollister, canada goose, moncler, hollister clothing store, converse, ray ban, louis vuitton, rolex watches, iphone 6 cases, oakley, juicy couture outlet, vans, karen millen, pandora jewelry, ugg, moncler, air max, supra shoes, swarovski crystal, swarovski, pandora charms, moncler, moncler, converse shoes, gucci, ugg, louboutin, montre homme, air max, hollister, coach outlet store online, links of london, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, ralph lauren, parajumpers, moncler, toms shoes, wedding dresses, moncler

lacoste pas cher, north face, coach purses, michael kors, nike roshe run, michael kors, longchamp pas cher, chanel handbags, ray ban uk, michael kors, true religion jeans, nike blazer, tn pas cher, hollister, coach outlet, louboutin pas cher, oakley pas cher, north face, coach factory outlet, vans pas cher, kate spade outlet, air jordan pas cher, sac longchamp, michael kors, true religion outlet, hogan, hermes, coach outlet, burberry, converse pas cher, lululemon, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, kate spade handbags, hollister pas cher, air max, air force, vanessa bruno, true religion jeans, timberland, nike free, sac guess, true religion jeans, new balance pas cher, nike air max